The Segment Discovery Insight allows you to zoom in on the population of visitors by providing an overview of profile properties and their fill rate. By selecting specific properties and values, the total population can be narrowed down to a set of individuals who are in a well-defined segment. This segment can then be saved for later use in BlueConic in order to drive better outcomes.
The Insight and its controls
The Insight consists of two parts that work together in helping you drill down to specific segments of your population:
- Segment Discovery: the graphical overview of the current selection
- Value Selector: the selector to help you narrow down the current selection
Below is an example of the Segment Discovery chart:
The Segment Discovery graph displays what is known about the selected part of your population. In the center of the graph is the number of profiles within the current selection. Around the center are rings divided into segments. Each segment represents a profile property. Hover over a particular segment to see the name of the profile properties in that ring and which percentage of the profiles have a value for the property, the "fill rate".
The chart is constructed as follows:
- Determine the number of profiles based on the current selection. If nothing has been selected, use all profiles.
- Determine all profile properties and their fill rate.
- Disregard all profile properties with a fill rate of 0%.
- Sort the profile properties based on their fill rate and place them in a ring accordingly. The inner ring holds the properties with the highest fill rates, the outer ring the properties with the lowest fill rate.
- The number of rings is configurable – profile property fill rates differ depending on the number of rings selected:
Number of rings Ring 1 (inner) Ring 2 Ring 3 Ring 4 4 100% - 75% 75% - 50% 50% - 25% 25% - 0% 3 100% - 67% 67% - 33% 33% - 0% 2 100% - 50% 50% - 0%
Rings may turn out to be empty if there are no profile properties with a matching fill rate. The chart in the example has 4 rings. Hovering above ring 2 highlights four profile properties that have a fill rate between 75% - 50%.
- Each ring contains the profile properties with a matching fill rate as explained above. The chart in the example shows that the highlighted profile property "Interactions Converted" has a fill rate of 53%.
- Labels can be selected in the configuration, in which case the section of the ring for a profile property will be colored by its label. If the profile property has no label, it will be colored blue.
Interpreting the segment discovery chart
The purpose of the Segment Discovery insight is to find actionable segments for whom we can drive better outcomes by using what we know of the individuals within those segments. Each time we narrow the audience based on the value of some profile properties, we create segments.
Note that interesting profile properties are the ones that actually have a value; without a value they are not useful at all. The fill rate is a measurement for how many profiles actually have a value for a given profile property. This means that the inner rings of the chart contain the profile properties that hold the most information, which makes them interesting for segmentation.
To zoom in on the profiles that have a value for a certain profile property, click its segment. This is the same as adding that profile property in the Value Selector discussed next.
Below is an example of the Value Selector:
The Value Selector enables you to select profile properties and set value restrictions for each selected property. The chart is redrawn after every modification to the selection or value restrictions.
On the left hand side there is a scrollable list of profile properties to select from. Under the list is a search box to help you find the property you are looking for. Selected profile properties are displayed on top of the list.
To the right of the list of profile properties is a box per selected profile property where value restrictions can be set. These restrictions work similar to how Segment Filters work. If you want to remove a profile property from the selection, either uncheck its checkbox in the list of profile properties, or hover over the title of the profile property box and click the delete icon that appears in the top right of the box.
The Value Selector can be closed or opened by clicking on the arrow icon to the left of the words "Value Selector". By default, the Value Selector is opened and the selection boxes are being shown. Close the Value Selector to view only the chart - without any selection boxes.
'Update Data' button
In some BlueConic environments, an "Update Data" button can be clicked to update real-time calculations in the widget. This is provided to allow multiple changes to be applied to the chart without having it re-draw in between.
Save as new segment
When you are satisfied with your selection of profiles, you can save the selection as a Segment. Click the "Save as new segment" button to save the selection.
- Labels (optional)
- Select labels to colorize profile properties by the label that they have assigned to them. Properties not matching any label will be colored blue. If no labels are selected, everything will be colored blue.
- Number of rings (required)
- Select the number of rings you want in the chart: 2, 3 or 4.
The Segment Discovery Insight is a standard plugin.