Newer Salesforce Marketing Cloud Connection available
We recommend using the newer Salesforce Marketing Cloud (FTP) connection for better performance, especially when importing or exporting large numbers of profiles.
What: The Salesforce Marketing Cloud (SOAP) connection allows you to enrich BlueConic profiles with data from Salesforce Marketing Cloud subscribers and vice versa. Only use this connection when you want to enrich or export a small number of BlueConic profiles. This connection supports scheduled batch import and export.
About BlueConic: The BlueConic customer data platform harnesses the data required to power the recognition of an individual at each interaction, and then synchronizes their intent across the marketing ecosystem.
Why: Interact with your email recipients with relevancy on-site, and in their inbox! By taking Salesforce Marketing Cloud data into BlueConic, you can individualize their experience on-site or in-app. By using BlueConic's unique behavioral data collection engine, you can enable a highly relevant email program for triggered emails and drip campaigns.
Creating a Salesforce Marketing Cloud connection
To get started, create a new connection in BlueConic:
- In the BlueConic navigation bar, select Connections.
- Click the Add connection button.
- Search for Salesforce Marketing Cloud and click Salesforce Marketing Cloud (SOAP) connection to create a new connection.
- Enter a title for the connection, e.g. "Salesforce."
Once you have created a connection in BlueConic, you can start to set it up.
Authorizing the Salesforce Marketing Cloud connection
BlueConic needs an authorized connection with the Salesforce Marketing Cloud. You can do this by entering your client ID and client secret from the Salesforce Marketing Cloud in the Set up and Run page. You should receive an authentication success message. After authorizing, a BlueConic data extension will be created if it does not already exist.
Save your connection settings at the top of the page. At the bottom of the Setup and run page, the Run history section shows any completed runs of the Salesforce Marketing Cloud connection. See Scheduling and running connections for details.
In the Data exchange section, you can see the number of unique profiles that have been imported or exported via the connection. Note that these are unique profiles -- for example, if the same profile is exported multiple times, it is counted only once.
Configuring the Connection
Now that you have a working connection between BlueConic and Salesforce Marketing Cloud, it is time to define exactly what will be synchronized between the two systems. You do this by configuring import or export goals. Note that you do not have to set up an automation in Salesforce Marketing Cloud in order to use this connection.
Importing data from Salesforce Marketing Cloud to BlueConic via SOAP
To configure a data import, you start by creating an "import goal" by clicking Add goal > Import goal or selecting Import data into BlueConic in the left hand panel and following these steps.
- Select a Salesforce Marketing Cloud data extension to import from.
- Link identifiers between Salesforce Marketing Cloud and BlueConic.
Select a value from Salesforce Marketing Cloud in the left-hand column and match it to a unique identifier in BlueConic in the right-hand column. Use the checkbox to select whether to allow BlueConic to create a new profile if the matching identifier is not found in BlueConic.
- Map Salesforce Marketing Cloud data to BlueConic profile properties.
Select the Salesforce fields to import, map them to BlueConic profile properties, and use the drop-down menu to choose how data should be added or merged.
- The merge rule setting determines how a value collected from Salesforce Marketing Cloud will be stored into the BlueConic property. These are the options:
- Set: Copy the value from Salesforce Marketing Cloud exactly to the profile property, overwriting the previous value.
- Set if empty: Copy the value from Salesforce Marketing Cloud exactly to the profile property but only if it is empty. If the profile property already has a value, do nothing.
- Add: Add the value from Salesforce Marketing Cloud to the list of values already in the profile property if it hasn't been added yet, omitting duplicates.
- Sum: Numerically add the value from Salesforce Marketing Cloud to the value in the profile property. If the profile property was empty, it will be regarded as value 0. This only works for profile properties and values that contain integer numbers.
Exporting BlueConic profile data to Salesforce Marketing Cloud via SOAP
To export BlueConic profile data to Salesforce Marketing Cloud, you start by creating an "export goal" by clicking Add goal > Export goal or by clicking Export data into Salesforce Marketing Cloud in the left hand panel, and following these steps.
- Specify a BlueConic segment of profiles to export.
You can choose to export all profiles or narrow the group to only profiles in a selected BlueConic customer segment.
- Select a Salesforce Marketing Cloud data extension to export data to.
You can select an existing extension or create a new Salesforce Marketing Cloud data extension.
- Link identifiers between BlueConic and Salesforce Marketing Cloud (SOAP).
Select matching identifiers. By default only email address is allowed (this depends on your setup in Salesforce Marketing Cloud). BlueConic profiles that contain no value for the BlueConic identifier will be excluded from the export.
- Map BlueConic data to Salesforce Marketing Cloud fields.
Select the BlueConic data you're exporting in the left-hand column and match it to Salesforce Marketing Cloud fields in the right-hand column. Use the mapping dropdown menu to specify which profile property, identifier or associated segment information goes into which Salesforce Marketing Cloud field. Click Add mapping to add a new mapping rule for a property, or click Add multiple mappings to add rules for a number of properties.
Profiles with a value for the configured matching profile property while also being part of the configured segment will be added to the batch update.
- Save your settings and turn the connection on.
Running the connection
Open the Setup and run page of your Salesforce Marketing Cloud connection to run the connection or to set up a schedule to run it. See Scheduling connections for detailed instructions.
The first time the connection runs, it retrieves all the data you request. On subsequent runs, it imports only the changed profile data.
The run history shows an overview of the previous runs and the details of each run. Hover over a run and click the icon to download the log of the run.
Connections can be added to Objectives, allowing for privacy management of the information that is being picked up. A connection will only process the profiles of visitors who have consented to at least one of the objectives that the connection is linked to.