What: The Facebook Advertising Connection allows you to enrich Facebook Advertising with data from BlueConic. Export segment or profile data to more effectively reach targeted audiences with digital advertising. This connection supports batch export (server-to-server custom audience sync) and real-time export (pixel implementation).
With this connection you can:
- Export profiles to create custom audiences in Facebook Advertising via a batch run
- Export profile data to Facebook Advertising via the Facebook pixel when a visitor visits one of your channels
For the best marketing outcome, we recommend that you implement both the pixel and the custom audience sync.
About BlueConic: The BlueConic Customer Data Platform harnesses the data required to power the recognition of an individual at each interaction, and then synchronizes their intent across the marketing ecosystem.
Why: By sending segmentation and user profile property data to Facebook, you can more effectively reach targeted audiences with digital ads on Facebook and Instagram. Target any contact in CRM with server-to-server sync, or any known or anonymous user via the pixel. With this capability, you can stop targeting entire segments of visitors who are not a good fit for your advertising campaigns, or create new look-alike audiences based on data from your highest-performing customers or known and anonymous users.
Before using the connection, be sure to review Facebook's Custom Audiences Terms of Service. Effectively, this means you should make sure you provide appropriate notice to, and secure any necessary consent from your users. Also, you should offer visitors an option to opt out, so their data will not be uploaded via BlueConic to Facebook.
Adding a Facebook Advertising Connection
- Click Connections in the navigation bar.
- Click Add Connection.
- A pop-up window appears. Check the Show all box. Enter "Facebook" in the Search bar.
Click Facebook Advertising Connection.
- The Facebook Advertising Connection page opens. You can expand or collapse metadata fields (favorite, labels, and description) by clicking the gray + or –.
Configuring a Facebook Advertising connection
For the best marketing outcome, we recommended that you implement both a batch segment export and a real-time export. Instructions for implementing both follow below.
Follow the steps below to authenticate your connection to Facebook.
- Click Set up and run in the Facebook Advertising connection.
- Click Connect with Facebook and log in with your Facebook credentials. Select the advertising account that you will be using.
- Enter the value for your Facebook Pixel ID. You can retrieve or create a Facebook pixel in Facebook via "Events manager > Pixels > Create pixel / retrieve ID". (Required only for real-time export.)
- Optional: If you want to restrict the channels or URLs where the real-time export is active, select the channels and URLs. The standard is that the real-time export is active on all pages on all channels. (Required only for real-time export.)
You can use BlueConic segments to create Facebook Custom Audiences. Using the batch segment export enables you to retarget people on Facebook who have not been to your website recently but whose contact information you have. For example, your CRM system might have contact information because someone made a purchase in your store or called your callcenter, or because their email address is in your ESP.
To make the most of Facebook Custom Audiences you should create as many identifiable profiles as possible by integrating with your CRM, ESP, and manual or scheduled imports that contain a lot of identifiers. When using custom audience mapping, BlueConic will automatically create a new custom audience in Facebook, and daily push all profiles into that audience that are associated to the mapped segment. Only profiles with an email address known by Facebook will be pushed into the audience. No additional profile data will be pushed to Facebook.
Before using this goal, be sure to read Facebook's Custom Audiences Terms of Service.
Add a goal to synchronize BlueConic segment information with Facebook's Custom Audiences by clicking the Add goal button and selecting Facebook Custom Audiences (batch export). Follow the steps in the goal to configure it.
- Link identifiers between BlueConic and Facebook
Link identifiers for matching profiles between both systems. Matching by email address is recommended.
Click Add mapping to add more multiple matching options, such as phone number, first name, last name, city, state/province, country, zip/postal code, date of birth, year of birth, month of birth, gender, or mobile advertiser ID. See Facebook's best practices for choosing identifiers for custom audiences.
If you are using the same Facebook Advertising account on all of your channels and you have the visitor's consent to store their Facebook ID in the BlueConic profile, you can click Show advanced identifiers and link another property identifier to the Facebook ID.
The advanced identifier does not have to be a unique identifier (such as email or phone number), but can be any profile property.
- Map BlueConic segments to Facebook custom audiences
In this step you map your BlueConic segments to custom audiences in Facebook. You can add as many mappings as necessary. Select an existing audience or create a new one by typing a new name. After the connection runs for the first time, new audiences will appear as a custom audience created by BlueConic.
In order for the connection to work, you need to accept Facebook's Custom Audience Terms of Service. To do this, click Accept TOS.
Using real-time export to Facebook with a pixel is useful if you want to retarget people on Facebook who have been to your website in the last few days or weeks. The real-time export also works for visitors who are still anonymous to BlueConic. When using the pixel, BlueConic sends profile data to Facebook whenever the visitor is active on one of your sites. You can then manually create custom audiences in Facebook based on this data. The data can include profile property values but also a list of BlueConic segments the profile is associated with. Only segments that actually exist at the time the visitor is active on the site will be sent to Facebook. This means you can use BlueConic segments in Facebook to create a new custom audience.
There are three different time periods that affect the number of profiles in your real-time export audience:
In period A, the BlueConic script is active and storing data in profile properties. These profiles can be added to a segment even though the segment didn't exist when the person visited the site.
In period B, the Facebook Ads connection is active and sending the associated segments to Facebook through the pixel. Since this connection runs in the browser of the visitor it can only update values when someone decides to visit one of your pages. Since the segment isn't created yet it cannot be sent to Facebook as part of the associated segments.
In period C, the segment is created and sent to Facebook for all Facebook users visiting your website.
The BlueConic segment contains all profiles from periods A, B, and C.
The Facebook pixel has audience data for periods B and C.
The Facebook audience that uses the BlueConic segment contains only profiles from period C.
Setting a real-time export goal
To add a new real-time export goal, clicking Add goal and select Export via a pixel to Facebook (real-time). Follow these steps to configure your new goal:
- Select a BlueConic segment to export profile data from
In the top right-hand corner, the number of profiles available for the export appears.
This number shows how many profiles meet the conditions for the selected segment (for example, they have an email address and gave required consent for ad targeting) and therefore are available for the export. BlueConic tries to export only the profiles that have changed since the last export. This number of profiles exported may be lower than the number displayed here.
- Map BlueConic data to Facebook Advertising
Select the BlueConic data you want to export to Facebook Advertising and add names for any custom variables.
Click the BlueConic icon to open a drop-down menu where you can switch between the type of information you want to export.
Pick one of:
- BlueConic profile identifier: The unique identifier for a profile.
- Associated segments: All segments, or a selection of one or more specific segments that the profile is associated with. Click the name to select all segments or only a selection for BlueConic to send to Facebook. By default, BlueConic will use the exact segment name to send, but you can optionally enter a replacement name for BlueConic to send.
Note that to be able to export interactions viewed and segment membership, both "External analytics" checkboxes should be checked at the BlueConic Settings > Privacy tab; however, this makes this data available in the browser.
- Profile property: The value of a specific profile property.
- All viewed interactions: The interactions the profile has seen.
- Permission level: The permission level set in the profile.
- Text value: Enter any static text.
- Settings for push to Facebook Advertising
Select a push frequency to determine how often information should be exported to Facebook: upon each page view, only when variables change, once per visit, or only when permission levels change.
Optional: Select a BlueConic trigger event that should also trigger an export, in addition to the configured push frequency.
Event name allows you to set the name of the events that BlueConic pushes to Facebook. This will allow you to recognize the events in Facebook.
Events and custom data variables passed to Facebook can be found within Facebook's audience creation tool by selecting "Custom Combination" under "Website Traffic":
Running the Facebook Advertising connection
Tip: Make sure you have added an export goal or goals before running the connection and saved your configuration.
- Turn the Facebook Advertising connection on and click the Save button to save your settings.
- Go to the Set up and run page. Scroll down to the Run history section.
- To start the export manually, click the Run now button.
- To schedule the export for a future date, click the Settings icon . Select a scheduling option from the drop-down list:
- Number of times per day
- Days of the week
- Day of the month
- Weekday of the month
Set a time for the export.
Once you've set up and saved your connection, the icon at the top will reflect the status of the connection.
There is an arrow going from BlueConic to Facebook, showing that data is being exported from BlueConic to Facebook. When the arrow is green, the connection is ready to be used.
Data exchange shows you the total number of unique profiles that have been exported via the connection. Note that this shows the number of unique profiles available for export. However, based on limitations set by the Facebook advertising platform, some profiles may not be exported. Also, if the same profile is exported multiple times, it is counted as 1.
Connections can be added to Objectives, allowing for privacy management of the information that is being picked up. A connection will only process the profiles of visitors who have consented to at least one of the objectives that the connection is linked to.