Creating insight dashboards:
Visitor segment insights:
On the Insights tab (More > Insights) you can create Dashboards on which you can place as many Insights as you want. There are different types of Insights you can choose from; once you have picked one you can further configure it to make it show the exact information you need for the Dashboard you are creating. Click here for more information about the various insight types.
Creating a new Dashboard
Create a new Dashboard by clicking the "Add dashboard" button at the top right of the Insights tab:
You can change the name of the Dashboard by simply clicking on the name and editing it.
Edit Rights and Labels
In the meta data you can change the Edit Rights and the Labels of a Dashboard.
Edit Rights: If left blank, all users are able to change and delete this Dashboard. By selecting one or more domains the edit rights are limited to those users that have edit permissions for the selected domains.
Labels: by assigning one or more labels to a Dashboard it becomes very easy to navigate to other items that have the same label assigned.
Selecting a Time Period for the Dashboard
At the top of each Dashboard you can change the time period. All Insights that are susceptible to the time period setting will change after a new value for the time period has been chosen. By default the time period "Last Month" is selected.
- The time period "All Time" is the period that BlueConic started recording any data up until now.
- The "Last ..." time periods are "sliding": the length of the time period is always the same and the end date slides along with the current date.
- The time period "Custom Time Period" allows you to set a specific start and end date for the period; these dates will not change until you change them.
After a time period other than "All Time" has been chosen:
- The time-icon at the beginning of the text will be highlighted in blue.
- Insights that change their presented data according to the selected time period will get a 'time label' on the top left corner of the Insight. Not all Insights are susceptible to time period changes, only those that are will get a 'time label'.
Adding an Insight to a Dashboard
Step 1: Click the "Add Insight" button
You can add an Insight to a Dashboard by clicking on the "Add Insight" button that is located at the top right corner of the Dashboard.
Step 2: Add Insights from the Insights Gallery
After clicking the "Add Insight" button, the Insights Gallery opens. This gallery gives an overview of all types of Insights that you can add to your dashboard.
- Click the insight that you want to add to your dashboard. In the background of the Insights Gallery you see the Insight being added to the dashboard. Each new Insight is added after the last Insight on the dashboard.
- You can click the "Add to Dashboard" as often as you like to fill the dashboard; you can also add the same type of Insights multiple times.
- When you are done adding Insights to the dashboard, click the "Close" button to close the gallery.
Step 3: Configure the settings of the Insights
After an Insight has been added to the dashboard it most likely needs configuration before it will show the desired information.
- Click the "Configure this Insight" link.
- A small pop-up appears in which you can configure the settings of the Insight.
- After you have clicked "Ok" in the pop-up, the settings are applied and the Insight will show the wanted information.
Generic Insight controls
There are up to five controls for each Insight on a dashboard. You see them when hovering over the Insight. The amount of controls depends on the type of widget and whether the widget is configured already.
The controls (from left to right):
- Info about the Insight: this will open a little pop-up that shows the type of the Insight and a description.
- Export: this will export the data that is used to render the Insight to an Excel file.
- Used Items: this shows an overview to all items that are used in this widget; you can start editing an item by clicking it.
- Settings: this will open a little pop-up in which you can configure the settings for this widget.
- Remove: this will remove the Insight from the current dashboard.
By default a newly added Insight is placed as last Insight on a dashboard. You can move an Insight to another place on the dashboard by dragging the Insight; while dragging the Insight, the drop zone is marked with a dashed outline.
You can also use the cursor keys to move an insight around the dashboard.
A standalone version of a Dashboard - i.e. a full screen browser version without the BlueConic menu and side bars - can be created as follows:
- Open the Dashboard
- Change the text type=dashboard in the address bar of the browser to type=standalonedashboard
This page can be bookmarked and the address can be copied and mailed to open the dashboard from any browser.
Access rights still apply to stand alone dashboards:
- You need to be able to access the BlueConic server.
- You need to have a valid login.