Can't seem to get your Dialogue to work properly? Here are some tips and tricks to help you figure out what might be going wrong.
If your Dialogue is not working
First make sure that the BlueConic Dialogue is actually eligible for execution on your page by opening the BlueConic Simulator and checking the Dialogues widget.
The widget shows all Dialogues for the page shown in the Simulator grouped by position. The name of your dialogue or variant should be visible in the widget.
If it is not listed:
- Hover over the position where you would expect your Dialogue to appear. See if one of the Dialogues lights up in the Dialogues widget. Click on the "+" icon to see all Dialogues for that position.
- Is the Dialogue configured for the right channel(s) on the Where tab?
- Are there any URL restrictions? If so, make sure they are properly configured.
Is your Dialogue listed in the Dialogues widget?
If it is listed with a red switch next to its name, then the Dialogue is not active. This may be intentional, in which case you can toggle the switch in the Simulator to make it act as if the Dialogue was active. If the Dialogue was supposed to be active:
- Check if there are any restrictions on Start/End Date, Targets, or Frequency Caps under 'Advanced Settings' for the Dialogue.
- Is the Dialogue interaction targeted at a specific segment of visitors? Check the Who tab. If so, make sure you are also part of that segment. The Simulator offers a configurable list of segments which you are part of.
- Check the Optimization tab of your dialogue, specifically the distribution percentage of the original in the top row. Is there a chance that you randomly have been picked to be part of the control group? If so, try changing that percentage to 0 to eliminate the chance completely.
You can also click on the name of the Dialogue in the Dialogues widget. This will show some information about it, plus a plain text explanation of the situation for the Dialogue:
- Is the name of the Dialogue in bold font? No? Perhaps there are other Dialogues configured at the same position. BlueConic will round-robin Dialogues which share the same position. You can force the Simulator to show a specific Dialogue by clicking the "eye" icon in front of the name.
- Is the position of the Dialogue actually available on the page? Check the 'Position' column.
in the Simulator. If the position is displayed in cursive font, then the position is not available.
Learn more about using the Simulator.
If your Dialogue is taking forever to load
One possible cause is your browser refusing to download insecure content into a secure environment. The browser silently warns about this by placing an indication in the browser window. The warning is easy to overlook.
The shield icon is located in the top right of the address bar in Chrome:
The shield icon is located to the left of the address bar in Firefox:
In each case: click the icon or button and allow the content of the dialogue to be loaded.
Note: Dialogues are served by BlueConic from a secure server, so the dialogue is not causing the warning. However your dialogue might reference insecure content (e.g. a lightbox based on an HTTP URL).
If you notice that you need to disable the warning to be able to see your dialogue, it is best to see if you can avoid it in the first place (e.g. base the lightbox on an HTTPS URL).
See also: Browser warning when loading http pages in BlueConic
If no conversions are being attributed to your Dialogue
By default, conversions are recorded only after a click is registered. This means Conversion events can only be attributed to a BlueConic Dialogue after a Click event has been attributed to that dialogue.
The exception is if you choose to allow view-through conversions (on the Why tab of the Dialogue window), where a conversion is recorded after only a view has been registered.
Other points to know about registering conversions in BlueConic:
- Make sure you select a channel for the dialogue on the Where tab. Only dialogues with a channel will be attributed events.
- Check the Why tab to make sure the ‘Allow conversions with no click’ box is checked. If the conversion moment happens (but no click) and you don’t have the ‘Allow conversions with no click’ box checked, the conversion won't be tracked.
- See the section "Choosing a conversion moment" for tracking conversions on the Why tab for notes and caveats about setting up conversion moments in the Why tab of Dialogues.
- Make sure you use correct syntax when specifying the Conversion URL for a dialogue. See Specifying URLs in BlueConic for information.
- If two or more dialogues share the same Conversion URL (or have matching URL specifications) then only the dialogue to which a Click event was last attributed will be attributed the Conversion event.
- For 'Content' and 'Lightbox' dialogues, Click events will only be attributed if the URL of the link is a 'Shortened URL' created with the link icon in the editor.
Learn more about dialogue conversions in the Why section. For details on tracking direct conversions and indirect conversions, see Metrics for views, clicks, and conversions.
For information on contacting our Support Team with questions, see Contacting BlueConic Support.