What: The Klaviyo connection allows you to enrich BlueConic profiles with data from Klaviyo subscribers and vice versa. This connection supports scheduled batch import and export.
Why: By bringing Klaviyo data into BlueConic or exporting BlueConic data to Klaviyo subscribers, you can individualize your customers' experience on-site or in-app. Use BlueConic's unique behavioral data collection engine to enable highly relevant marketing campaigns.
Adding a Klaviyo connection
To install the Klaviyo connection to your BlueConic tenant, contact your Customer Success Manager.
- Click Connections in the BlueConic navigation bar.
- Click Add Connection.
- A pop-up window appears. Enter "Klaviyo" in the Search bar.
- Click Klaviyo connection.
The Klaviyo connection page opens. You can expand or collapse the metadata fields (to mark it as a favorite, add labels, or write a description) by clicking the gray + or -.
- In the metadata section you can choose whether to get email notifications when the connection runs or fails to run.
- Enter a name for your connection at the top of the page
Configuring a Klaviyo connection to BlueConic
To set up a connection between BlueConic and Klaviyo, you need to add your account credentials, create at least one import or export goal, turn the connection on, and either schedule or run the connection. Follow the steps outlined below.
Setting up the connection
- Select Set up and run in the Setup section in the left panel.
- Enter your Klaviyo API key. This should be created and retrieved from the Klaviyo environment.
- Save your connection settings at the top of the page.
Your connection should not show an error, which means that BlueConic can now exchange customer data with Klaviyo.
To make the connection work, you have to add at least one import or export goal, save your settings, and switch the connection on at the top of the page before you run it. In the goals, you specify how data from BlueConic should be linked and mapped to Klaviyo.
After you run the connection, the Data exchange section shows the number of unique profiles exchanged with Klaviyo.
Importing data into BlueConic from Klaviyo
In the bottom left panel, click Add goal > Import profiles to create an import goal or click Import data into BlueConic on the left panel to set import goals for the connection.
- Select a Klaviyo data source.
In this table, you will see a list of all available Klaviyo subscriber lists and segments within your account. Check the boxes beside any of the data sources you want to use for import. You can optionally choose to create new BlueConic profiles from Klaviyo subscribers rather than only importing data for existing BlueConic profiles. Additionally, there is an option at the bottom of the table to store the name of the Klaviyo data source that the profile was imported from into its own BlueConic profile property.
- Link identifiers between Klaviyo and BlueConic profiles.
You can optionally choose to create new profiles if no matching identifier is found.
- Map Klaviyo data to BlueConic profile properties. In the drop-down menu on the right of each mapping, you can specify determines how a value imported from Klaviyo will be stored into the BlueConic property. Additional parameters that can be used in this connection include received email (array and count of received emails per profile), opened email (array and count of opened emails per profile), clicked email (array and count of clicked emails per profile), subscribed to list (array of lists subscribed to per profile), unsubscribed from list (array of lists unsubscribed per profile), and unsubscribed (campaign name).
These are the options:
- Set: Copy the value exactly to the profile property, overwriting the previous value.
- Set if empty: Copy the value from Klaviyo exactly to the profile property but only if it is empty. If the profile property already has a value, do nothing.
- Set or clear: The value in the profile property will be cleared if it contains no value.
- Add: Add the value to a list of values already in the profile property if it hasn't been added yet, omitting duplicates.
- Sum: Numerically add the value from Klaviyo to the value in the profile property. If the profile property was empty, it will be regarded as value 0. This only works for profile properties and values that contain integer numbers.
- Optional: Import Timeline events into BlueConic. Import data from Klaviyo to enrich BlueConic Timeline events. Map the correct Klaviyo profile event fields into the corresponding BlueConic Timeline event properties.
- Run the connection. See Running the connection below for details.
Exporting data from BlueConic to Klaviyo
In the bottom left panel, click Add goal > Export profiles to create an export goal or click Export profile data to Klaviyo on the left panel to set export goals for the connection.
- Select a BlueConic customer segment to export profile data from.
The exported data will include profiles from this segment that have a value for the data mapped in step 3.
- Select a Klaviyo subscriber list
In this table, you will see a list of all available Klaviyo subscriber lists within your account. Check the boxes beside any of the lists you want to export to. Additionally, there is an option at the bottom of the table to remove users from the selected Klaviyo subscriber lists if they do not appear in the exported segment.
- Link identifiers between BlueConic and Klaviyo.
- Map BlueConic data to Klaviyo.
Here you can match the BlueConic data you want to export to corresponding fields in Klaviyo.
Click the BlueConic icon to open a drop-down menu where you can choose among the types of information you want to export:
- Profile property: The value of a specific profile property.
- BlueConic profile identifier: The unique identifier for a profile.
- Associated segments: All segments, or a selection of one or more specific segments that the profile is associated with.
- All viewed interactions: The names of all viewed BlueConic interactions (for the current page view) as the value, and names will be pipe-separated.
- Permission level: The permission level set in the profile.
- Text value: Enter any static text.
- Run the connection. See Running the connection below for details.
Running the connection
To run the connection, turn the connection on at the top of the page and save your changes. Use the settings in the Run history section of the Set up and run page. See Scheduling connections for details on running connections.
Once you've set up and saved your connection, the icon at the top of the window reflects the status of the connection.
Two arrows run between BlueConic to Klaviyo, signifying the direction of the data import and export. When the arrows are green, the connection is ready to be used.
Connections can be added to Objectives, allowing for privacy management of the information that is being picked up. A connection will only process the profiles of visitors who have consented to at least one of the objectives that the connection is linked to.