In addition to storing information about a profile in profile properties, BlueConic provides time-based data on events that occur for a profile, such as product orders, page views, clicks, etc.
A BlueConic Timeline stores events to capture information about timing and sequence of events for a BlueConic profile. A Timeline belongs to a profile and includes the set of all events belonging together for that profile.
BlueConic data structure for events, profiles, and groups
This example data structure shows how BlueConic customer profiles can also have related event timelines, and how profiles can be part of groups such as households, companies, or accounts.
What can I do with Timeline events?
Storing relevant customer events in profiles enables marketing teams to do much deeper analysis and data collection that is time-based.
- Use the more granular, time-based data in events for better insight and greater data activation and targeting.
- Improved recommendations account for which products have been bought, both by the current profile and overall statistics for products bought by others.
- Find greater opportunities for personalization based on customer order data.
- Calculate profile properties based on events in individual profile Timelines, which can be useful for machine learning and AI transaction-based calculations.
- Evaluate customer data based on time.
Where can I see Timeline events in BlueConic?
Timeline events are visible in the Profiles tab for a particular profile. Select Profile Timeline to see details on events for a profile's Timeline. Note that you first have to add or import Timeline events to a profile in order for Timeline events to appear here. Use the All Types dropdown menu to select the event types to appear in the timeline. Then you can see details for specific dates or events.
You can also see Timeline events in the BlueConic Simulator.
Click Show all timeline events in the Simulator to open a lightbox listing all events related to the current profile.
BlueConic Timeline FAQ
How are Timeline events created?
Timeline events are not recorded by default. You need to tell BlueConic which types of events to collect and where/how to store them. To add events, you first create a Timeline event type. Contact your BlueConic Customer Success Manager at email@example.com for details.
How do I add events to a profile's Timeline?
In order to add events to a BlueConic profile's Timeline, you need to first decide what types of events you want to record and define a Timeline event type to record this event. To add product orders, for example, you can use the prebuilt Order Timeline event type by installing the Event type: Order plugin from BlueConic. Contact your Customer Success Manager for details on how to add or create Timeline event types.
Contact your Customer Success Manager for information on working with Timeline events.
How does the default Order Timeline event type work?
BlueConic provides a default Order Timeline event type you can use for importing product orders via the SFTP Connection.
To use this Order event information to enhance your product recommendations, you need to do two things:
- In the Order details, you need to store the BlueConic product store ID in a property called "bcStoreId".
- The Product IDs in the Order event must exactly match the product IDs in your BlueConic product store. You select the product store name in Step 5 of the order data import via the SFTP Connection.
In addition, keep the following guidelines in mind when creating product recommendations based on the default Order event type:
- Products need to be present in the product or content store, in order to be recommended.
- If you add an Order of this event type, and BlueConic matches the product id, BlueConic will add Order events to a profile's timeline.
- Bought products for this order are added to a profile property that stores products ordered by this profile.
- Also, product stores and related statistics are updated with new Order events. This additional product data lets you create better personal recommendations, because there is more product information available for the current profile.
Which Timeline event types are available by default?
BlueConic provides several Timeline event types out of the box, which you can use to store customer events in a profile's Timeline. These event types are available by in BlueConic default:
- Order event type
- Email delivered event type
- Email opened event type
- Email link clicked event type
- Abandoned basket event type
- Order refund event type, with three statuses: refund requested, returned, refunded
How can I use Timeline events for data activation in BlueConic?
Timeline events make it possible for you to store customer order data in the BlueConic product store. You can use this information to:
- Create better, more personal product recommendations.
- Improve overall product recommendation statistics by using product order data.
- Use the Python package in AI Workbench to retrieve events along with visitor profile. (Note that you can use the Python package to retrieve but not to store events.)
- Use the BlueConic REST API to retrieve events.
How can I deduplicate Timeline events?
To prevent duplicate events being added to a timeline, you can set an "externalID" field. It is not possible to add an event with an externalID that already exists.
Is there an extra cost to use Timeline events?
By default, there is currently no extra cost to use Timeline events, but events being stored are added to your BlueConic total data storage. If you have a lot of events to store, you may need to buy more data storage to be able to use Timeline events under your current contract. Contact your Customer Success Manager to discuss your data storage needs.