With BlueConic's Open-Time Email Recommendations you can deliver dynamic, individualized content or product recommendations via email based on up-to-the-minute customer data.
Send personalized recommendations to your email program. These recommendations are updated the moment your customers open their email.
Sending up-to-the-minute recommendations via email
With Open-Time Email Recommendations from BlueConic, you can email personalized product or content recommendations that update automatically when your customers open them. Here's how the open-time email personalization feature works:
- Use BlueConic to collect items to recommend in a product store or content store using a Product or Content Collector.
- Set up Open-Time Email Recommendations (see steps below).
- Match customers' email addresses with their BlueConic profile. (Note that the email addresses used for the recommendations must be known in BlueConic.)
- Choose recommendation algorithms that select items to recommend.
- We'll give you the HTML code snippet to paste into your ESP editor.
- Send your email. The recommendations will update the moment your customer opens the email, even taking into account clicks, views, or changes that happen between the time you send it and the moment it's opened.
Follow the steps below to get started with personalized email recommendations that update upon opening.
Creating dynamic email recommendation sets
Here's how you can compose a set of personalized, dynamic recommendations and then create an HTML code snippet you send to customers via your ESP (email service provider).
Create an Open-Time Email Recommendation connection
- Click Connections in the BlueConic navigation bar.
- Click Add Connection.
- A pop-up window appears. Enter "Open-Time Email Recommendations" in the Search bar.
- Click Open-Time Email Recommendations.
The Open-Time Email Recommendations page opens. You can expand or collapse the metadata fields (favorite, labels, and description) at the top of the page by clicking the gray + or -.
- Enter a name for your recommendations set at the top of the page. This name is used inside BlueConic and isn't visible in the recommendations you create.
Configure your personalized email recommendations
In the left-hand panel, click Create Open-Time Email Recommendations and follow these steps, laid out in the import goal.
Note: This example shows content recommendations; product recommendations work the same way in BlueConic.
- Choose a BlueConic collector to gather content items or products to recommend.
Recommendations in BlueConic are based on the products or content items collected by a Product Collector or Content Collector.
- Select recommendation algorithms and filter rules that determine which items or products are recommended.
Here you choose the rules that select recommendations (and optionally, fallback items) from available products or content items.
Choose the number of items and click the recommendation algorithm names (Breaking news, etc.) to select recommendation algorithms.
Fallback items fill in any empty spots in your recommendations if the other recommendation algorithms or filters don't produce enough items for the space available.
- Design and preview the styling for your recommendations.
Choose a template or customize the design that creates the image and title for each recommended item. Your email service provider (ESP) delivers the overall email message design; this step customizes the recommended item blocks. This preview shows a content recommendation block consisting of an article title with a background image from the content item.
To customize the template, click the select other link and choose from an example template (or create your own).
- Identify how customers are matched between BlueConic profiles and your ESP. To match BlueConic profiles to email recipients, enter the ESP expression for your email platform from the list below.
- Copy the recommendation HTML code block and paste it into the email message you send from your ESP.
Test or preview your email recommendations
In some ESPs (such as Mailchimp), when you send a “test” email and then preview the message in the browser, recommendations will not be shown. This is because the ESP creates a test email subscriber for previews, and BlueConic recommendations require a user’s email or an identifier that matches a BlueConic profile in order to create and show recommendations.
If your product or content collector is empty, there will be no items to view in step 3. Choose a different product or content collector, or allow the collector time to gather items to recommend.
Learn more about content and product recommendations in BlueConic
- Product recommendations in BlueConic
- Content recommendations in BlueConic
- BlueConic recommendation algorithms
Adding the ESP expression for your email platform
To match customers between BlueConic profiles and your ESP, you need to add the ESP expression for your email provider. Use the table below to find the right ESP expression to use in Step 4 for matching BlueConic profiles to email subscribers on your ESP.
|Email service provider (ESP)||ESP expression||Link to learn more|
||Listrak (see page 149 of PDF)|
|Salesforce Marketing Cloud||
** Note: For these marked email platforms, the email field name may be different.
Privacy management for personalization
The process of creating open-time email recommendations uses a BlueConic connection to the product or content store that holds recommended items. Connections can be added to Objectives, allowing for privacy management of the information that is being picked up. If you add this connection to an objective, it will only process the profiles of customers or visitors who have consented to at least one of the objectives the connection is linked to.