There are many different approaches to GDPR compliance. This guide covers the simplest solution BlueConic offers, by blocking the platform from creating profiles for visitors from the EU.
Before you begin
Before using this Playbook, complete the following steps:
- Define your marketing objectives -- these are the marketing goals that will require GDPR-protected customer data. You will be adding these objectives to BlueConic to inform the platform about what data to collect for whom. A marketing objective might be “Collect email for personalized email campaigns” or “Optimize web experience.”
- Create the necessary Objectives in BlueConic.
Define your audience
When you create your first Objective, BlueConic creates a profile property called “GDPR Privacy Legislation.” BlueConic will then automatically populate profile values of “none” and “gdpr.” Visitors from a GDPR zone will have a value of “gdpr,” other visitors will have a value of “none.” You can use this profile property to build segments of your GDPR zone visitors to display consent dialogues to.
For this use case, use the “European visitors: only profile after consent” listener. Once turned on, this listener will only create profiles for visitors from the EU after they have consented to one or more Objective. This listener has additional options that let you block profile creation for returning visitors who already had a profile before 25 May 2018, and to delete existing European profiles when they re-enter one of your channels. You can also specify a segment to be excluded from deletion.
Create a listener
Log in to BlueConic and do the following:
- Choose Listeners in the BlueConic navigation bar.
- Select the Add Listener button.
- Using the search box provided, search for “European visitors.”
- Select European visitors: only profile after consent listener.
- Next, you will need to configure your listener, as shown below.
If you want to make it possible for EU visitors to have a profile after enabling this listener, you need to create a Dialogue in order to retrieve consent from visitors for at least one of your objectives.
To do this, complete the following steps:
- Choose Dialogues in the BlueConic navigation bar.
- Select the Add dialogue button.
- Choose a dialogue type (for example, a lightbox or form). Open the Dialogue.
- From the “Who” tab, set “Privacy legislation” to “gdpr” and expand the segment to target visitors who have not consented to Objectives you plan to ask for in the Dialogue.
- Click Save.
Design the customer experience for managing consent
Next, you will need to design the experience by which the visitor grants access.
- On the "What" tab, Edit the contents of the lightbox. Open the Insert object menu and choose Privacy management components.
Note: If you do not see the Privacy management components option, contact your BlueConic CSM to install the appropriate plugin.
- Choose Manage consent in the Privacy management popup window that appears.
- In the Objectives tab of this overlay, select the Objectives you're asking customers to consent to.
- In the Settings tab, you can apply custom styling, and provide text to interact with the visitor.
- When done, close the overlay and click Save.