BlueConic observes customer behavior and stores this data in behavioral profile properties. These values measure recency, frequency, intensity, and momentum of your customers' interactions with your site and serve as the basis for six prebuilt behavioral segments. BlueConic's behavioral segments update in real time and require no special configuration. See Behavioral profile properties to learn how each value is collected and calculated.
Prebuilt behavioral segments
Marketing teams can use behavioral segments in combination with existing segments or profile properties to tailor messaging to the right customers at the right time.
Visitors from the past 7 days
- Based on the profile property: Recency
- Values range from a minimum of 93 (the last visit was 7 days ago) to 100 (visited today). This value is empty for profiles whose last visit was more than 99 days ago.
- Use cases: Use the Visitors from the past 7 days segment to target customers who haven't visited in the past week. Re-engage them with fresh messaging.
Highly frequent visitors
- Based on the profile property: Frequency
- Values range from a minimum of 85 and maximum of 100. This value is empty for profiles that are among the least active in your universe.
- Use cases: These customers visit often and clearly enjoy your content or products. Target them with deeper content. Or use the segment to exclude frequent visitors from seeing the same messages on each visit.
Visitors with a high intensity
- Based on the profile property: Intensity
- Values range from a minimum of 85 to a maximum of 100. This value is empty for profiles with the lowest average intensity in your universe.
- Use cases: Combine this segment of high intensity customers with content or product interests to re-connect with this valuable group of customers.
Recently very active visitors
- Based on the profile property: Recent intensity
- Values range from a minimum of 75 to a maximum of 100. This value is empty for profiles with the lowest recent intensity in your universe.
- Use cases: Target lead generation to active visitors who have not supplied an email address -- focusing your lead gen efforts on highly engaged people.
Visitors with high momentum
- Based on the profile property: Momentum
- Values range from a minimum of 75 to a maximum of 100 (for showing much more activity this week than on average). This value is empty for profiles with lower than average or no activity this week.
- Use cases: Customers with high momentum are showing increasing activity on your site over the past 7 days. Send offers or ads to these customers to capitalize on their increased interest and propensity to buy.
Visitors with low momentum
- Based on the profile property: Momentum
- Values range between a minimum of 0 (inactive in the past 7 days) to 10 (minimal activity over time).
- Use cases: Improve your re-engagement campaigns by combining the "low momentum" segment with additional attributes to target and bring customers back to your site.
Customizing behavioral segments
Use the prebuilt segments as the basis for your behavioral marketing campaigns. You can edit the minimum and maximum values to create your own definition for frequency, intensity, activity, and momentum. Select one of the behavioral segments, click its name in the left navigation to view the conditions that define this segment, and edit the score range. By default high intensity is calculated with a minimum of 85 out of 100. To add more profiles to this segment, you can change the minimum value to yield more profiles. Choose Save As to create a new, custom behavioral segment using your scoring thresholds.
For details on how BlueConic calculates the profile scores that determine the behavioral segments, see Calculating behavioral profile property values.
Example: Using behavioral segmentation to increase engagement
Because BlueConic's behavioral segments and profile properties are preconfigured, you can start using them now to target custom audiences. For example, to find the group of users who show high levels of activity but for whom you don't have an email address, build a new segment that combines the Recent intensity segment with the group of customers whose email profile property is empty. Now you can target this group with ads or messages to ask for their email addresses.
See Using real-time behavioral customer data for ideas for behavioral targeting and messaging.