What: The Mixpanel connection allows you to enrich BlueConic profiles with data from Mixpanel and vice versa. This connection supports batch import and export.
About BlueConic: The BlueConic Customer Data Platform harnesses the data required to power the recognition of an individual at each interaction, and then synchronizes their intent across the marketing ecosystem.
Why: Mixpanel offers tools for acquiring actionable user analytics. By bringing this data into BlueConic, you can individualize the user experience onsite or in apps.
Adding a Mixpanel connection
- Click Connections in the BlueConic navigation bar.
- Click Add Connection.
- A pop-up window appears. Check the Show all box. Enter "Mixpanel" in the Search bar. Click Mixpanel connection.The Mixpanel connection page opens. You can expand or collapse metadata fields (favorite, labels, and description) by clicking the gray chevron at the top of the page.
- In the metadata section you can choose whether to get email notifications when the connection runs or fails to run.
- Enter a name for your connection and Save your settings.
Configuring the connection
Click Set up and run to configure the Mixpanel connection and enter your access credentials.
- Enter your API secret, which you can retrieve or renew in your Mixpanel environment via Settings (gear icon) > Project settings.
- Enter your API token (required for exporting from BlueConic to Mixpanel only). You can retrieve or renew your API token in your Mixpanel environment via Settings (gear icon) > Project settings.
- Click Save to store the information.
Data exchange shows the total number of unique profiles that have been imported or exported via the connection. Note that these are unique profiles - if the same profile is exported multiple times, it is counted as 1.
Setting up the import and export goals
Next you set connection goals to select data to exchange and specify how data should be mapped between Mixpanel and BlueConic. You can set connection goals for importing or exporting data:
- Import data into BlueConic
- Export data into Mixpanel
To make the connection work, you have to add at least one goal, save the connection, and switch the connection on.
Importing data into BlueConic
To import data into BlueConic, add an import goal and follow the steps laid out in the goal.
- Link identifiers between Mixpanel and BlueConic.
To match Mixpanel customer data to BlueConic profiles, you need to link identifiers between the two systems. If there's no match for a Mixpanel customer, the customer will not be imported, unless you select the "Allow the creation of new BlueConic profiles" box.
- Map Mixpanel data to BlueConic.
Here you map the Mixpanel fields you want to import into BlueConic to the corresponding profile property fields. Click Add mapping to create additional mappings.
Using the Set drop-down menu on the right-hand side, you can specify how to import the data:
- Set if empty
- Add the data field to the list of existing values.
- Sum a number with the existing values (if the data field is a number).
- Run the connection.
Be sure to Save the connection and turn it on before running the connection in the Set up and run page.
Exporting data into Mixpanel
To export data from BlueConic to Mixpanel, add an export goal and follow the steps laid out in the goal.
- Select a BlueConic segment to export profile data from.
In the top right-hand corner, the number of profiles available for export appears.
This number shows how many profiles meet the conditions for the selected segment (for example, they have an email address and gave required consent for an objective) and therefore are available for the export. BlueConic tries to export only the profiles that have changed since the last export. This number of profiles exported may be lower than the number displayed here.
- Link identifiers between BlueConic and Mixpanel.
Here you specify the BlueConic profile property that matches the Mixpanel (Distinct) ID. Using the import goal, you can import the required Mixpanel ID. If there is no match, the BlueConic profile will not be exported.
- Map BlueConic data to Mixpanel.
Click Add mapping to add a new mapping rule, or click Add multiple mappings to add a number of rules for properties.
Click the BlueConic icon to open a drop down menu where you can select the type of information you want to export. Pick one of:
- BlueConic profile identifier: the unique identifier for a profile
- Associated segments: all segments, or a selection of one or more specific segments that the profile is associated with
- Profile property: the value of a specific profile property
- All viewed interactions (all time): the interactions that the profile has seen
- Permission level: the permission level set in the profile
- Text value: enter any static text
- Run the connection.
Remember to Save the connection and turn it on. Go to Set up and run to schedule the connection or to run it manually.
Once you've set up and saved your connection, the icon at the top reflects the status of the connection.
An arrow runs from Mixpanel to BlueConic, signifying that data is being imported. At the same time, an arrow goes the other way, meaning data is being also exported from BlueConic to Mixpanel. When the arrows are green, it shows the connection is ready to be used.
On the Setup tab, under Data exchange you can see the number of unique profiles that were imported or exported by the connection.
Connections can be added to Objectives, allowing for privacy management of the information that is being picked up. A connection will only process the profiles of visitors who have consented to at least one of the objectives that the connection is linked to.