You can use the Interest Ranker 2.0 Listener in BlueConic to focus your data collection on customer interests and use that information to develop individualized marketing geared toward each customer's top interests.
Interest Ranking allows you to add interests as keywords to a profile property in a customer profile based on a points-based system. Points for an interest are scored based on the customer's behavior, which includes viewing content, clicking something, coming to your website from a specific referring URL, and landing on a URL that contains a specified string. Once an interest has been added to a profile, you can create one or more segments to target customers and visitors with greater precision.
- Detect interests: Use the listener to detect and collect customer interest data based on content browsing, buying habits, customers' preferred products or content items, etc.
- Create custom data collectors: You can configure custom rules that look for (or exclude) certain keywords, meta tags, or page URLs.
- Calculate interest scores: As you collect this data in customer profiles, you can calculate interest scores that you can activate in customer segments or for individualized marketing. Set decay periods to adjust scores over time.
Note: The Interest Ranker 2.0 plugin is English-language only and is not yet available for mobile apps.
Creating an Interest Ranker 2.0 listener
- Select Listeners in the BlueConic navigation bar and click the Add listener button.
- In the Add listener plugin gallery, search for Interest Ranker.
- Click on the Interest Ranker 2.0 to create a new listener.
- Give it a name and save the listener.
Next, you'll add collection methods and scoring rules.
Configuring an Interest Ranker 2.0 listener
Here you create data collection rules to pick up customer interests and add them to profile properties for segmentation and targeting. You can customize the collection rules and adjust the default point scoring as needed.
- Choose on which channels interests are collected.
Rules: You can also choose collect interests on certain pages based on URL, meta tags, or by selecting an area on the page.
- Select the interests to detect or exclude certain interests.
List interests, keywords, or terms for which you would specifically like to collect data (allow list), or conversely, a list of words you want to avoid collecting data for (block list). For example, a travel site might want to gather content on destinations by name (allow list) but block data collection on the words "travel" or "tourism."
- Create rules to capture customer interests.
Click the Add capturing method button to select one or more methods for detecting customer interests.
Meta tags: To collect customer interests based on HTML meta tags in your content, enter meta keywords and assign points to score these interests, awarded to the profile based on an event or action you select. (click, page load/scroll, form submit, or event). Click OK.
If you choose to assign points for events, you can specify the event at which you award points to that keyword. Click OK.
Smart content: With this option, BlueConic can use natural language processing (NLP), an AI-based method to detect interest keywords based on the frequency of nouns in your page content. (The Smart content NLP method works with English-language content only.) You can specify which area of the page to focus on (choosing HTML elements by name or via the Visual picker), and assign points to interests detected based on user actions or events. You can limit the number of points awarded per content area using the Detect max setting. Click OK.
URL: Choose to detect interests via URL level (all levels of the URL, or specific positions) and assign points for those interests. (Note this rule does not support the "*" as wildcard.) Click OK.
Web selector: With this option, you can manually set up a selector to detect and score interests by clicking visual areas on your channels and assigning the content point values.
Front-end detector: Click Front-end detector to see which interests might be detected based on rules you configure here. Adjust the data collection methods and use the on/off toggle to create new data collection rules. The Front-end detector provides handy visual cues to how data collection would work in your site or channels.
- Select or create profile properties to store customer interests.
In this step, you specify which profile properties will store customer interests. You can build segments based on these profile properties.
Decay period: You can also set a decay time period stating the number of days over which the interest points will decay to about 10% of their initial point value. For example, if you enter "30" here, and the interest "hiking" scores 10 points today, the "hiking" interest will gradually decay in value over time and only be worth about 1 point in 30 days or more. As a result, recently scored interests will rank higher than older interests.
Select the Apply interest threshold checkbox to set a minimum point score for storing interests. So if you set a minimum score of 6, and each page view earns 2 points, it would take 3 page views before this interest is stored to the profile property.
- Test your setup.
Click the See collected interests button to see how interests are being collected based on the rules and settings above. Use the Ranking and Page interests panels to see the data collection. You can adjust rules in earlier steps based on your findings.
Next steps: Turn your Interest Ranker On at the top of the page and save your changes.
The Interest Ranker listener will start collecting and scoring customer interests.
In the Reporting section at the bottom of the Interest Ranker page you can see a preview of how customer interests are being collected based on your rules. For full reporting and measurement of your results, you can create customized BlueConic Insights on a Dashboard.
Next steps: Activate your customer interest data with BlueConic
Now that you've collected interest data, it's time to activate that information to reach your customers more effectively with individualized marketing and personalization.
- Segmenting customers by interest areas: Create new customer segments using the interest data you collected. Learn more about creating real-time customer segments with BlueConic.
- Targeting and personalizing content: Target visitors and customers by showing personalized content to segments of customers or based on interests. Use individualized, personalized dialogues targeted to a customer's primary interests. Learn more about personalization and individualized marketing with BlueConic.
- Analyzing customer interest data: Examine the keywords that resonate with your visitors and customers to spot trends and uncover new opportunities. Learn more about reporting and measurement in BlueConic.