To help you gain insight on the relative differences in time elapsing between customers' events on your channels, you can use the Time Span listener to collect data and the Cohort Analysis insight to visualize the data. For example, you can examine the time between first visit and first purchase.
The Cohort Analysis insight uses the data collected in either of two ways to show the distribution of visitors sharing a start moment and end moment as defined in the listener:
- By a Time Span listener. For example, you can use these features to understand how long it takes between a customer visiting your website for the first time (start moment) and making a first purchase (end moment).
- In profile properties that contain a start moment and end date; the number of days is calculated and displayed in the insight..
For the time span listener, the number of days is stored in a property that is displayed in the insight. With profile properties, the number of days is calculated for the Cohort Analysis insight and used directly in the insight.
Cohort Analysis visualizations typically help in comparing campaign responses across different segments:
Adding a Cohort Analysis insight
- Navigate to the More > Insights menu.
- Select the dashboard you want to add the insight to, or choose Add dashboard to add a new dashboard.
- Select Add insight.
- A pop-up window appears. Check the Show all box. Enter "cohort" in the Search bar. Select Cohort Analysis. A new cohort analysis insight is added at the bottom of the dashboard.
- Close the pop-up window.
- Optional: Move the insight to the right spot on the dashboard by either dragging it or using the cursor keys to move it around.
Configuring the Cohort Analysis insight
Configure the insight as follows:
- Select Configure this insight, or hover over the insight and select the cogwheel icon on the top right of the insight.
- Search and enter the segment that profiles need to be a part of to be considered for this insight.
- For the source, select the Time Span listener that is gathering the start and end data points for customers or visitors.
Or, you can select Profile properties as the source for this insight. To visualize data stored in profile properties, choose profile properties of type number as the Number of days property and type date for the Date property.
- Select the time unit for the visualization: days, weeks, months, quarters, or years.
- Select the base color for the visualization.
The Cohort analysis insight is a standard plugin.