What: The Google BigQuery connection allows customers to import data from Google BigQuery into BlueConic. Data coming from BigQuery can be mapped to profile properties.
About BlueConic: BlueConic is a Customer Data Platform that harnesses the data required to power the recognition of an individual at each interaction, and then synchronizes their intent across the marketing ecosystem. Learn more about our platform.
Why: By retrieving data from BigQuery, you can enrich your customer data in BlueConic. This data can then be used to synchronize to other systems and used for for example retargeting, recommendations or on site or email personalizations.
Adding a Google BigQuery connection
- Click Connections in the Navigation bar.
- Click Add Connection.
- A pop-up window appears. Check the Show all box. Enter “BigQuery” in the Search bar.
Click Google BigQuery connection.
- The Google BigQuery Connection page opens.
You can expand or collapse metadata fields (favorite, labels, and description) by clicking the gray + or –.
Configuring a Google BigQuery connection
You have the option to use an existing service account, or to create a new service account specifically for BlueConic access via Create service account.
Make sure to assign a BigQuery Data Viewer or Admin role to the service account you use. For existing accounts you can assign roles via a 'Permissions'.
To authenticate the BlueConic connection with Google BigQuery, you will need to generate a service account key in Google BigQuery.
- Open the Google Cloud Platform Console
- Select the BigQuery project you want to connect to in the top header
- Click the Products & services hamburger menu in the upper left corner
- Click IAM & admin
- Click Service Accounts
- Click ⋮ behind the account you want to use for BlueConic
- Click Create Key
- Click key type JSON
- Click Create to download the private key file to your computer.
- In the BlueConic connection, click select from your computer and select the private key file.
- Click Save on the top right corner to save your authentication information.
Setting an Import goal
To import data from Google BigQuery, you need to compose a query (or select an existing one) that will gather the data for BlueConic to import.
- Open Google BigQuery
- Click Compose to compose your query
- Click Save Query and provide a name.
In the BlueConic import goal you can now select this information
- Select the Dataset that holds the query
- Select the name of the query for Table.
- Link identifiers between Google BigQuery and BlueConic to link data rows from the query to BlueConic profiles.
Select a data field and a BlueConic profile property from the drop-down lists to link together.
- Map the query data you want to import into BlueConic.
Select a data field from the drop-down list and select the BlueConic profile property it populates by entering a search term.
Select how to import the data from the drop-down list:
- Set if empty
- Add the data field to the list of existing values
- Sum a number with the existing values (if the data field is a number)
Click Save on the top right corner of the screen to save your import goal.
Optional: In the left panel, click Add goal and then Import goal to create another Import goal.