The Engagement Listener comes out-of-the-box in the "Listeners" page of your BlueConic environment. It dynamically buckets visitors into high, medium, and low levels of engagement; and gives them an engagement score.
This can be helpful for source analysis and segmentation, enabling you to differentiate content, offers/promotions, and other messaging to users based on their level of engagement. For instance, you can create and send unique messaging to reengage visitors with low levels of engagement, or offer discounts to highly engaged users.
How are engagement levels measured?
Engagement scores are measured by the number of visits and clicks an individual makes over time in relation to all other visitors. Recent activity is weighed more heavily than older activity.
You can reset the distribution percentage that buckets visitors into low, medium, and high engagement by clicking "Redefine Threshold" in the listener. We recommend: Low = 60%; Medium = 30%; High = 10%.
Inside an Engagement Listener
- Listener Title: "Engagement Listener" (or edit to a name of your choice)
- Where: Set your channel an page settings (URLs) here. You will probably want to leave this be, scoring visitation across all pages and channels. If you would like to
- Distribution bar graph: The graph shows the percentage thresholds associated with low, medium, and high engagement. The "Redefine Thresholds" link will allow you to choose what percent of profiles will be categorized as low, medium, or high engagement out of all (100%) of your visitors.
- Associated Profile Properties: By default this is set to the "Engagement" profile property, found in BlueConic's "Profile Property" page. "Engagement Score" is also linked to this listener (please see "Want to set your own scores?" below).
- There is likely no need to change the Engagement profile property in this listener, unless you are creating an engagement level listener for a specific channel or area within a channel. To do this create a new profile property > save this listener as a new listener and edit the site restrictions in the "Where" setting of the listener and add the newly created profile property.
- Associated segments: No need to create your own segments, the "Engagement" profile property is already bucketing high, medium, and low visitors into respective segments. Navigate to the "Segments" page in your BlueConic environment > Search "Engagement" and you will see the associated segments (image below).
Target these segments in your BlueConic Dialogues, Connections, and more!
This is a dynamic and flexible way to easily bucket users from the get-go -- instead of investigating and assigning page view scores in your own segmentation, which is possible (read on).
Want to set your own scores?
You will also see an "Engagement Score" profile property that is the general numeric engagement score for each visitor. The score is based on the number of visits and clicks measured over time where recent activity is weighed more than activity months ago. You can create your own segment based on setting max and/or min numerical scores with the Engagement Score profile property.
Since scores can change based on traffic flow with time, we do not have an across-the-board recommended “score” to base engagement levels on on -- every site is different and every organization defines their engagement levels differently. Therefore, we recommend using our out-of-the-box Engagement Listener and Engagement: High, Medium, and Low segments based on threshold rates. Nevertheless, if you know the number of page views/clicks that you want to lock profile segments in, see below!
Can't find the Engagement Listener?
The Engagement Listener is a certified plugin, so it's available even if you don't see it!
If you cannot find the Engagement Listener pre-installed in the "Listeners" section, you can install it by finding it in the Settings > Plugins section. Click "Add/Update Plugin" and search for "Engagement Listener."