What: The Optimizely connection allows you to synchronize BlueConic segments with Optimizely audiences and/or configure custom variables to send to Optimizely.
About BlueConic: BlueConic is a customer data platform (CDP) that harnesses the data required to power the recognition of an individual at each interaction, and then synchronizes their intent across the marketing ecosystem. Learn more about the BlueConic CDP.
Why: Some test results will be more meaningful when the audience is targeted, instead of testing against a random sample of all users. BlueConic can add another layer of rich behavioral data to Optimizely's existing audience-building capabilities.
For the connection to work, you must have set up the Optimizely tag on your pages. Additionally, the option "Expose the segments that the visitor is part of" on the Privacy Settings tab in BlueConic must be enabled.
Important note for Optimizely X users: the 'Audience mapping' functionality will not work when using Optimizely X. You will have to use 'Custom Attributes' to push data into Optimizely X profile attributes and create an audience using those attributes.
Configuring the connection
Configuration takes the following options:
Click [Add Audience to Segment Mapping] to add a new mapping from a BlueConic segment to an Optimizely Audience ID. Visitors will be assigned to Audiences in Optimizely based on the BlueConic Segments they are associated with. When a visitor is no longer associated to a Segment, he will be automatically removed from the Audience.
Hover over an audience mapping and click the delete icon on the right to delete it. Audience Mapping options:
- Optimizely Audience ID
- Enter the Audience ID from Optimizely that you want the BlueConic Segment to map to.
The Audience ID can be found in the URL when browsing your Optimizely audiences. In Optimizely, navigate to the Project Dashboard (Home), go to the Audiences tab, click "Create a New Audience" or click an existing Audience to find the Audience ID in the URL.
- BlueConic Segment
- Search and select the BlueConic Segment that you want to map to the Optimizely Audience ID.
Click [Add Custom Dimension] to add a new custom dimension. Hover over a custom dimension and click the delete icon on the right to delete it. Custom dimension options:
- Dimension ID
- Enter the ID of the Optimizely custom dimension that you would like to populate with BlueConic data.
In Optimizely, dimension IDs can can be found in the 'Dimensions' tab. Navigate to your Project Dashboard (Home), go to the 'Dimensions' tab, and retrieve the ID from an existing dimension or click "Create a New Dimension" to create a new dimension to populate with BlueConic data.
- BlueConic Value Type
Select the type of BlueConic value to pass into the Optimizely dimension:
- Profile Property: use the value of a BlueConic Profile Property in the visitors profile. If multiple values are available for the selected Profile Property, values will be pushed as an Array. Under value detail select the profile property that holds the value to set for the custom variable.
- BlueConic Profile Identifier: the unique identifier of the visitor profile in BlueConic.
- Associated Segments: use the names of all associated BlueConic segments as value. Names will be pushed as an Array.
Click "All segments" to select and send only specific segments instead of all segments.
Search and select a segment and enter an optional code to use instead of the name of the segment. If you do not provide a code, the name of the segment will be used.
If you want to push the associated Segments of a visitor, the option "Expose the segments that the visitor is part of" on the BlueConic Settings > Privacy tab in BlueConic must be enabled.
- All viewed Interactions: use the names of all viewed BlueConic interactions (for the current page view) as value. Names will be pushed as an Array.
- Permission Level: value of the BlueConic permission management level setting of the visitor (DO_NOT_TRACK, ANONYMOUS or PERSONAL).
- Text: the value will be a fixed text. Enter the text value to set for the custom variable.
The logos at the top of the page provide an overview of the connection status. When the green arrow appears between BlueConic to Optimizely, the connection is working and data can be exported.
Connections can be added to Objectives, allowing for privacy management of the information that is being picked up. A connection will only process the profiles of visitors who have consented to at least one of the objectives that the connection is linked to.