The Visit Listener can be used to store channel-specific metrics, such as visit timestamps, the number of visits, first visit date, and average visit time in the profile. This listener differs from the out-of-the-box Global Listener, which handles cross-channel metrics.
The Visit Listener is particularly beneficial for companies with several distinct brands (e.g., publishers and their different publications), as it allows you to track and evaluate visits separately for each brand's website.
The following sections detail how to install the Visit Listener in BlueConic, add it to your individual tenant, and configure it as desired.
Installing the Visit Listener
By default, the Visit Listener is not installed in BlueConic. To install it, navigate to BlueConic Settings > Plugins, click the Add plugin button, and register the following external URL:
For more detailed instructions, refer to the Overview: What are BlueConic plugins? article. And if you need further assistance, reach out to your BlueConic Customer Success Manager.
Adding the Visit Listener
- With the Visit Listener installed in BlueConic, click Listeners in the main navigation bar at the top.
- Click the Add listener button.
- In the Add listener window that opens, check the Show all box, then scroll down to the bottom and click the Visit Listener option.
- On the Visit Listener page that opens, configure the listener as described in the next section.
- When finished, use the toggle at the top to turn the listener on and click the Save button. The listener will then start collecting visit data.
Configuring the Visit Listener
The Visit Listener page contains the following configurations:
- Where: Define the channels (and specific URLs within these channels) on which you want this listener to be active. By default, the "All pages on all channels" option is selected here, but you can change this to "Limited set of channels (and pages)" and then search for and add the channels you want.
Tip: Make sure you restrict the listener to only the appropriate channel(s).
- Only Direct Visits: Check this box for the listener to only count direct visits (i.e., visits with no referrer). This box is unchecked by default; when it is checked, metrics will get updated during direct visits only.
- Visit Timestamp Property: Select the profile property to store the timestamps for each visit.
- Max. Number of Timestamps: Input the maximum number of timestamps to store in the configured profile property. This value is 10 by default.
- Number of Visits (ranged) Property: Select the profile property to store the number of visits for the configured number of days. Only the visits for which a timestamp has been persisted in the profile are included.
- Number of Days: Input the number of days for the system to track the number of visits. This value is 30 by default.
- Total Number of Visits Property: Select the profile property to store each person's total number of visits.
- Start Session Property: Select the profile property to store the date and time of the first page view of the most recent visit (i.e., the "start of the session”).
- Number of Page Views Property: Select the profile property to store each person's page-view total.
- Number of Page Views (last session) Property: Select the profile property to store each person's visit total in their last session.
- First Visit Date Property: Select the profile property to store the date of each person's first visit.
- Last Visit Date Property: Select the profile property to store the date of each person's last visit.
- Average Visit Time Property (minutes): Select the profile property to store each person's average visit time in minutes.
- Total Visit Time Property (minutes): Select the profile property to store each person's total visit time in minutes.
Listeners can be added to Objectives, allowing for privacy management of the information that is being picked up. The listener will only update a profile if the visitor consented to at least one of the objectives that it is linked to.