A Facebook Like Button allows you to place a "Like this page on Facebook" button on a page. Visitors can click the button to share your content with friends on Facebook. When the user clicks the Like button on your site, a story appears in the user's friends' News Feed with a link back to your website.
The following is an example of a Facebook Like Button dialogue:
The Facebook Like Button has several configuration options, as can be seen in the example screenshot below:
Note that all these options are completely optional. Skip the configuration and a default Like button will appear with the number of likes next to it.
- URL to like
- By default clicking the button will recommend the current page to friends. Sometimes you will want to recommend a different page. For example, when an overview page shows an abstract of an article, people will want to like the article, not the overview page. Enter the URL for the article to be able to like it from the overview page.
- Send button
- Enable this option to include a "Share" button next to the "Like" button. By default the "Share" button will not be shown.
- Layout style
- Choose one of the layout styles:
- "button_count": The amount of Likes will be displayed next to the button.
- "box_count": The amount of Likes will be displayed above the button.
- Optionally restrict the width of the output. Enter the number of pixels.
- Show faces
- Enable this option to show profile pictures below the Like button. Default is to not show profile pictures.
- Verb to display
- Enter "like" or "recommend" to use that word as the verb on the button and the text "Be the first of your friends to like this". Default is "like".
- Color scheme
- The color scheme to be used for the plugin. The options are "light" and "dark".
- Enter one of these font names if you want to use a specific font:
- lucida grande
- segoe ui
- trebuchet ms
- Label for tracking referrals
- Enter an optional label that will be used by Facebook to learn which Like button on your webpage generated the traffic.
- Insert type
- Choose the placement of the Like button relative to the position that was picked for the dialogue. Choices are:
- Prepend: insert the Like button before the selected position
- Append: insert the Like button after the selection position
- Replace: replace the contents of the position by the Like button
The Facebook Like Button Action is a standard plugin.