The BlueConic SFTP connection synchronizes data from different marketing platforms and databases into BlueConic using delimited flat files (e.g. CSV files) on Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) servers. The files are retrieved from and stored at your SFTP server. This connection supports scheduled batch import and export. By allowing BlueConic to share information with other marketing platforms, you can create or enhance user profiles.
About BlueConic: BlueConic is a Customer Data Platform that harnesses the data required to power the recognition of an individual at each interaction, and then synchronizes their intent across the marketing ecosystem. Learn more about our platform.
- Enrich BlueConic profiles with information like purchase history or predictive analytics segmentation (e.g. propensity modeling and lifecycle signals).
- Create relevant interactions and enable right-time messaging.
- Enhance features by analyzing behavioral data collected by BlueConic and profile data from other marketing platforms.
Adding a SFTP connection
- Click Connections in the Navigation bar.
- Click Add Connection.
- A pop-up window appears. Check the Show all box. Enter “SFTP” in the Search bar.
Click SFTP Connection.
- The SFTP Connections page opens.
You can expand or collapse metadata fields (favorite, labels, and description) by clicking the gray + or –.
Configuring a SFTP connection
Authenticating the SFTP connection and setting email preferences
- In the Set Connection title field, enter a descriptive title for the SFTP connection.
- Enter the SFTP server’s name.
- Enter the Port number used by the SFTP server. Usually, this value is 22.
- Enter your username for the SFTP server.
- Select an authentication method from the drop-down list: password authentication or public key
- If using password authentication, enter your password. If using public key authentication, drag and drop or upload your private key.
- Optional: Enter an email address for notifications. Check the Notifications settings box if you would like BlueConic to send you an email if an error occurs.
Setting an Import goal
Click Import data into BlueConic on the left panel of the page to import data from CSV, TSV, or similar files through SFTP.
Tip: If a file has already been imported and the file or connection configuration hasn’t changed, BlueConic won’t import the file again. BlueConic reimports a file if the file or the connection configuration has changed.
- Select the files that contain the data for import.
Enter the directory that holds the files.
Optional: Enter rules to filter the files imported.
Optional: Click Scan now to rescan the directory. This retrieves updated files and data fields.
- Specify how the files' fields should be handled by entering a field separator. This is usually
\t(for tab-separated files).
Optional: Click Show advanced settings for additional options. Here, you can enter a multi-value separator, set a custom date format, and select your time zone. Click Date and time preview to test if the date values in the detected files match your selected date format.
- Link identifiers between the files and BlueConic to link data rows from SFTP profiles to BlueConic profiles.
Select a data field and a BlueConic profile property from the drop-down lists to link together.
Click Add mapping to create additional links.
Check the Allow the creation of new BlueConic profiles box to create a new BlueConic profile if the data field doesn't match an existing BlueConic profile when the import runs. If the box isn't checked, only existing profiles are updated, and data that doesn't match BlueConic profiles are ignored.
- Map the file's data you want to import into BlueConic.
Select a data field from the drop-down list and select the BlueConic profile property it populates by entering a search term.
Select how to import the data from the drop-down list:
- Set if empty
- Add the data field to the list of existing values
- Sum a number with the existing values (if the data field is a number)
Click Save on the top right corner of the screen to save your import goal.
Optional: In the left panel, click Add goal and then Import goal to create another Import goal.
- Check the box by Import data into BlueConic in the left panel. A green arrow appears, going from the SFTP icon to the BlueConic icon.
Setting an Export goal
Export data from BlueConic profiles to a CSV, TSV, or similar file through SFTP.
- Select a BlueConic segment using the Search bar. Only profiles in this segment with a value for at least one of the selected profile properties (from Step 4) are exported.
- Enter a directory for the exported files. View the files already in the directory in the Files detected table.
Optional: Click Scan now to rescan the directory to retrieve updated files and data fields.
- Determine how to set up the files and their fields.
Select how to name the exported files. Click the Segment name + timestamp radio button to add a new file every time the export run. Click the Custom name radio button to replace the file with a newer version every time the export is run.
Specify how the files' fields should be handled by entering a field separator. This is usually
\t(for tab-separated files).
Optional: Click Show advanced settings for additional options. Here, you can enter a multi-value separator, replace BlueConic IDs with the file name, and compress the exported files, set a custom date format, and select your time zone. Click Date and time preview to test if the date values in the detected files match your selected date format.
- Map the BlueConic data you want to export into the file.
Select BlueConic profile property by entering a search term and enter the data field value it should populate. Order mappings by grabbing the drag bar on the left side, this will be reflected in the order of the fields in the exported file.
Click the BlueConic icon to open a drop down menu where you can switch between the type of information you want to export. Pick one of:
- BlueConic identifier: the unique identifier for a profile
- Associated segments: all segments, or a selection of one or more specific segments that the profile is associated with
- Profile property: the value of a specific profile property
- All viewed interactions (all time): the interactions that the profile has seen
- Permission level: the permission level set in the profile
- Text value: enter any static text
Click Save on the top right corner of the screen to save your Export goal.
In the left panel, click Add goal and then Export goal to create another Export goal.
In the left panel, check the box by Export data into BlueConic. A green arrow appears, going from the BlueConic icon to the SFTP icon.
Running the SFTP connection
Tip: Make sure you have added Import and Export goals before running the connection.
- Turn the SFTP connection on.
- Go to the Authentication and run page. Scroll down to the Run history section.
- To start the import and export manually, click the Run now button.
- To schedule the import and export for a future date, click the Settings icon . Select how to schedule the import by choosing an option from the drop-down list:
- Every X minutes
- Number of times per day
- Days of the week
- Days of the month
- Weekday of the month
Set a time for the import.
The SFTP connection is a standard plugin.